Weather patterns are constantly changing, and there have been some record-breaking snowfalls in recent years. Heavy snow can create significant damage to your home or vehicles, and it’s critical to understand what to do in the event of snow-related damage. You may have good home and auto insurance coverage, but are you insured for snow damage?
Different types of insurance have varying levels of coverage and deductibles. Generally, a homeowner’s insurance policy will cover the costs to repair a collapsed roof, but not damage to fences, swimming pools or septic tanks. Make sure you ask one of our local agents what types of coverage you need to protect against snow damage, based upon your home and the various systems that could be affected by a heavy snowfall.
Find out what you need to do to be covered should your home become uninhabitable. It’s also important to find out whether you will have access to emergency funds for accommodations, clothing and other necessary items. Make sure you have all the right insurance policies so you can reduce the potential of a financial disaster if a blizzard passes through the area.
Here is how the process works:
- Call Patriot Insurance and report that your home or car has been damaged by heavy snow.
- Work closely with your agent so that every form of damage in the home is listed. Most carriers allow you to file a claim online, and you should do so as soon as possible.
- Keep copies of all bills and receipts in one folder in a safe place that is easily accessed. These bills are proof of the costs of repairing damage.
- Make sure to use a reputable and quality repair company. You can check through the Better Business Bureau for trustworthy listings. Discuss this with one of our agents as we have been through this process many times and we’ll be able to make recommendations of companies who can resolve the damage to your home or car.
- An insurance adjuster will come to your home to place a value on the damages. Make sure that he or she takes the time to see every damaged area – this isn’t the time to have a quick look, but requires a full and extensive evaluation of the situation. A collapsed roof can affect other parts of the structure, so ensure that all areas of the home are checked.
Talk to us at Patriot Insurance in Kokomo, Indiana. We can discuss your needs for your home, and talk to you about putting special coverages in place for areas or systems that are not covered by your current homeowners’ insurance policy. The last thing we want is for you to be caught without enough coverage after a damaging heavy snowfall. Your car insurance should also be reviewed to ensure that if your vehicle is damaged by snow, it can be repaired or replaced and you can get back on the road with the least hassle.
We like to hear feedback from our friends and neighbors in Kokomo, so give us a call today!